1. Bring a legal photo ID (drivers license, passport) OR, when no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented (birth certificate, report card, library card, Social Security card, utility bill, bank statement, Non-photo ID/driver’s license, etc.). Students may bring a school ID card, minor’s work permit, school report card, library card and/or a written note from a legal guardian. If you need a copy of your license, follow this link for instructions for downloading your OFFICIAL LICENSE: INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING YOUR LICENSE(ClickOn)IF YOU ARE UPGRADING YOUR AMATEUR LICENSE, BRING AN “OFFICIAL” SIGNED COPY WITH YOU TO TAKE THE EXAM!!!!
2. If applicable, bring the original and a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license and any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
3. Bring your Social Security Number (SSAN) or your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). VEC’s are required by FCC to submit either your SSAN or your FRN number with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSAN, then you may use your FCC issued FRN, if you have one. To obtain an FRN : Go to the link, FCC Registration Number (FRN) Commission Registration System and follow the instructions on the page to obtain your FRN electronically. You may also obtain the form manually at http://www.fcc.gov/formpage.html or by calling the FCC at 1-877-480-3201 (TTY 717338-2824), or by calling the FCC’s Fax Information System by dialing (202) 418-0177, catalog ID #3000160. Mailing instructions are on the form.
4. Examination Fees: Your VE will charge you a reimbursement fee for their out-of-pocket expenses incurred in preparing, processing, administering or coordinating your examination. The South Metro VE Team fee is $15.00 for 2020 (for one attempt at all three license elements). You can take all three elements for this one fee at one exam sitting. If a candidate fails an element at an exam session and wants to re-test for the same element, an additional fee of $15.00 will be required. The Exam Fee for 2020 will remain at $15.00(for one attempt at all three license elements).The Team’s current procedure is to have examinees take the elements in ascending order of difficulty, ie. element 2, 3, 4. A Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination(CSCE) is issued for passing any element or elements which is good for an upgrade to a higher license class from a previous class. This CSCE is good for 365 days. After about a week from passing your exam, you can receive an official copy of your license by logging on to YOUR FCC ULS account and then print the license for posting in your station. To operate with a new license, once the FCC has granted the Operator/Station license and callsign, you may begin radio operation. However, if you request to take an element out of order, then the you may do so at this sitting. If the element(s) passed do not meet the criteria for a license grant, then a CSCE will be issued for those elements passed and is good for 365 days from exam date. Now, if you fail an element, a retest for that element, with a new test, can be given for an additional $15.00 fee.
5. To be prepared you should also bring two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
6. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.